Tuesday, May 29, 2007

 
Yes, I'm still alive...barely
By SG2.0

It has taken me a full week, but I am now able to voice some opinions on what happened the night professional basketball died for all intents and purposes. However I will save my depressing thoughts on where we should go from here until the end of the mailbag, which will be appearing tomorrow.
Until then, feel free to drink yet another liter of Pinesol and then and only then, will we attempt to move on with our lives in an orderly manner.
Thank you.

Q: I am a John Cena fan AND a wrestling historian not unlike you. How long does he have to be a champion and who does he have to beat to become (@ minimum) the Champion to lead the WWE(F) back to its upswing as you have put so eloquently.
I like the HBK/Cena angle. It started with the tag title and has grown into a great rivalry. He's taken all that HBK has and retained his title and beat HBK in a Pride match. As much as I still blame (in my head) HBK because he DID get the Title from Brett Hart (mouth throwup), he is still an ICON (PIPER) and Cena deserves credit. The real test (no pun) will be when he face HHH when he comes back, they have not feuded yet, and that should be classic with HHH being a team player at least once. The great Khali reminds me of old school Andre' T. Giant. Unstoppable. This will be a good test as well.
He'd sh** on the "Mountie!" AND Rick Martel in a handicap match. You need to admit this.
- Robert from Haverhill, Mass.



SG2.0: First of all, I am most certainly NOT a John Cena fan and what they are doing to poor Shawn Michaels' legacy right now is an embarrassment to the sacred sport of wrestling itself.
Second of all, you're a mark.


Q: With the Yankees pathetic start to the season and the Red Sox getting off to their best start possibly ever, are you ready to order a Division Champs T-shirt?
- Brett in San Diego, CA


SG2.0: I would never even contemplate buying a "Division Champs" t-shirt. I mean these are the Boston Red Sox we're talking about here. We don't celebrate division titles.
Wait, "John H. on Yawkey Way?" are you writing me E-Mail's again?! You pasty bastard, you. Awww, I could kiss you. Come 'ere ya big goof!


Q: Did you hear that Dunkin' Donuts chairman Jon L. Luther proposed to the organization's board of directors a plan that would place roughly 300-400 Dunkin' Donuts establishments throughout Southern California? ... Actually, that's a bold-faced lie, I just wanted to see if I could drive you closer to the edge. Until later SG2.0; I'll be here eating a sausage, egg and cheese on an everything bagel, washing it down with an XL Iced Coffee. Ta-Ta!
- Seth from Worcester, MA


SG2.0: Well Seth, you'll have to excuse me while I scour yellowpages.com in search of every, single "Seth" within a 20-mile radius of Worcester. You can expect a package within the next 3-4 days with an FW from Ted Kaczynski.
Thanks.


Q: How do you think Paul Pierce ranks as an all-time Celtic?
I know he's got the numbers, but back in the 80-early 90's (I consider the true end of the Celtics Dynasty to be when Tommy stopped saying "2 Zips and 3 Zaps"), Pierce to me would be Kevin Gamble.
In your opinion, who’s the 5th member of the all-time C's Team in your opinion?

C-Russell
PF- Cowens
SF-Bird
SG- ?
PG-Cousy
Do you put in DJ or Havlicek at one of the guard spots?
Do you take out Cowens because he's a Center and throw in McHale? (Cowens is NBA-PF height now)
Does Ainge even make the team?
- Jay in Chapel Hill, North Carolina


SG2.0: (***Editors Note: This answer was written prior to the tragic events of 5/22/07. In no way, shape or form, would the author even contemplate answering this lengthy question now, for it would be far too painful. The Boston Celtics are dead and frankly, a large piece of SG2.0 died as well that infamous day***)

I think you certainly put the “high” in “highly” overrating Kevin Gamble, although I do admit his name is a boatload of fun to drop every now and then on people who aren't expecting it.
Like if you're walking down the street and you see someone looking at a menu in a restaurant window, you could say, "Ya, I hear the 'Kevin Gamble' here is really good. You really should try it," and then slowly walk away while staring them in the eye.
With that said, however, Kevin Gamble never even averaged more than 16 points per game, whereas Pierce did that in his rookie year.
However, does Pierce crack the C’s all-time starting five? No F’n way.
He has never truly ran wild in a major Playoff game (I don’t consider him going off on an Isiah Thomas-coached Pacers squad in 2003 much of an accomplishment) whereas most of the all-time Celts have more rings than Pierce has playoff series victories.
And that fraudulent 2002 run I credit more to Walker and an embarrassment of an Eastern Conference than Pierce simply torching teams offensively.
Havlicek meanwhile, might be the most unappreciated NBA player of all-time. He is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the greatest NBA franchise. Does that give him a slot in the starting five? Without a doubt:

C- Russell
PF – McHale
SF – Bird
SG – Havlicek
PG – Cousy

And as sad as it is for me to admit, Danny is kind of the black sheep of that 1986 starting five. Parish, McHale, Bird and DJ are in or definitely should be in the Hall of Fame (HOF). Unfortunately, our favorite Baby-faced assassin won’t sniff the HOF unless he goes into the executive wing in 2027 after his giant free agent acquisition of Chauncey Billups and the drafting of one Greg Oden in the summer of 2007 … Or if he bites David Stern, Tree Rollins-style, after the 2007 Draft Lottery.
So, to begin with the all-time squad, I think you have to only take Hall of Fame players or would be Hall of Fame players into account. Here’s my 12-man squad:

Starters:
C- Russell
PF – McHale
SF – Bird
SG – Havlicek
PG – Cousy

Bench:
C – Robert Parish
C/PF – Dave Cowens
SF – Tommy Heinsohn
SG-SF – Paul Pierce
SG – Sam Jones
PG – Nate Archibald
PG – Dennis Johnson

Apologies are in order for Hall of Famers Dominique Wilkins and Bill Walton, but I don’t really think of them as true Celtics. Sorry Bill, I'm sure you could make a 34,343,214,324 minute argument of why you should be on this squad.


(Editor's Note: Part II of the Mailbag will appear tomorrow, any late Mailbag submissions will be strongly considered. E-Mail is: SportsGuy2.0@hotmail.com)

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?